You are currently viewing Licensing and Insurance for Moving Companies

Licensing and Insurance for Moving Companies

Licensing and Insurance for Moving Companies

Do Moving Companies Require Licenses and Insurance?

When you think about the best moving company North Las Vegas residents and companies have available to them, you probably think licensed, insured and bonded. There are certain federal requirements, and local rules tend to vary on a state-by-state basis, but many of the major movers tend to go above and beyond what’s required.

Federal Licensing

The U.S. Department of Transportation requires all moving companies that move between states to be licensed and have a USDOT number. If you hire a company that is exclusively local to Nevada, then they may not need a USDOT number. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, which is a DOT agency, maintains a record of all licensed companies so that you can inspect safety record and the like.

Nevada Licensing

The state of Nevada considers moving services to be a public utility. Therefore, such companies must maintain a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity. A CPCN is acquired through the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada. Optionally, companies may possess certifications from various trade associations, such as the American Moving & Storage Association, and these tend to indicate that a company has certain training or maintains certain safety and service standards.


The law generally requires that a moving company is insured at least $0.60 per pound. This number may be higher due to local factors. If this doesn’t seem like a lot, it’s because it really isn’t. Most of the major moving companies carry much more insurance in order to protect their clients, and even then, many consumers choose additional insurance in order to protect their interests.


Bonding is kind of insurance that ensures that a moving company lives up to its contract with you. Although bonding is generally required by the federal and state government, required amounts can vary considerably based on a wide range of factors. If you want specifics, you should be able to acquire this information through the Nevada PUC.